Sunday, August 24, 2008

Closing Ceremonies...

...and now I'm watching the closing ceremonies. It's been quite the Olympics and I'm exhausted from staying up til 1 or 2 a.m. each night, but I manage...for my country you know. LOL. I'm amazed I know so many people who don't watch the Olympics or just one event, I am there from beginning to end for two weeks every four years! My dream would be to actually go to an Olympics, the next one is in London...not on the top of my list of places to visit but then again, it IS the Olympics. Has anyone ever been to an Olympics? How does it work with the ticket buying?
So I was going to go and post hot pics of some of the Olympians, until I found this article and I thought, it was a better way to end my blogging on the Olympics. Oh about that, I sucked this year! My laptop had issues and then my friend gave me a laptop but it's older and waaaay slower so even surfing or logging on is a hassle.
This article made me stop and think about how strong the human spirit is, how it doesn't matter where you come from...it matters what you do. Samia Yusuf Omar is from Somalia and she finished last in her 200 meter heat...like 8 seconds slower...last. The crowd cheered her on and I wish I could have seen that heat but with Somalia only sending two athletes to the Olympics (both finished last in their events) the interview with her really shows her humbleness. Take a moment and check the article out, it's inspiring. Oh as for the job hunt, I interviewed with Microsoft last week, we shall see how that goes. I thought it went well but I know I was up against an internal candidate. I think the Samia Yusuf Omar article struck me so because like her I didn't have a lot of the advantages of others growing up but I've always strived to excel in what I ever I try to do. I mean, I'm from the rez in south dakota who grew up in a poor and dysfunctional family (whom are very dear to me, now I just know how to turn off their dysfunctional ways and not let it affect me) no degree and I just interviewed with Microsoft, they showed an interest in me. For myself, that right there is an accomplishment! I was like wow, technically I should be dead or a druggie and alkie in South Dakota but Microsoft called me for an interview...blows my mind. A lot of people won't get it, some will but I'm hoping Samia Yusuf Omar comes back in 4 years and gets the training and guidance she needs to really perform at the other athletes level.
Hope everyone enjoyed the Olympics and who knows, maybe I'll be blogging from London in 2012! ;-) peace

1 comment:

  1. I LOVED your attitude in this blog entry, Leonard...good for you! :) We all have our different hurdles to make it over in life, don't we? Sometimes it just seems like our foot keeps getting stuck on the same one--especially when dysfunctional families are involved...I soooooo relate! ;) (Okay, just realized using hurdles made it 'kind of' an Olympics comparison! lol) Anyway, I wish you luck with this job possibility and hope you keep us posted. :)

    And yes, I'm 'trying' to get back to being more of a regular with blog reading/posting...have missed it...we'll see. ;)

    ReplyDelete