Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Spent the day with the parents...

...ok to be cool, I should have said the "'rents" but come on, I'm not 14! In any case, it was a good day spending time with them, we all went and had our eyes checked! LOL for real. They both got new prescriptions...I will keep my mouth shut on whether or not I need glasses! ;-) It was a long day, I had to drive 66 miles to pick them up, then another 90 back to the place where we went and got checked out (it was an Indian clinic in Auburn) then take them back...my poor car, it's such a trooper! I had fun hanging out with them though. Since I've been back I have not spent a lot of time with them, and I missed that. In S.D. I had my native friends and family and since I've been here, I've missed that cultural connection. So it was great to listen to my dad pepper his sentences with indian words that I know and to get their humor. It was a nice day! I told a friend about my day and she was like, we are all the same people, but I don't believe we are. Mexicans, blacks, natives, asians...we all have our own cultural thing...and it is different. My parents are old school Lakota from the reservations in South Dakota, my dad is from Pine Ridge rez, and my mom is from Rosebud rez. They kind of still live in that world I think. Hello, both were born in a house without a real floor, just dirt floors! I love to listen to them talk about the old days, when they lived with no electricity or plumbing. Oh, being in CA now they think it sucks, but I find it so interesting. The thing that I find interesting is that they still stick to their traditions, even out here in the hustle and bustle of California. My mom can still cook meals she cooked on the rez and my dad still trys to barter with everyone. Really, bartering is not a myth...it happens in my culture! lol So I tried to explain all that to my friend, but she didn't get it. I quit trying to explain and just said I had a good day! Because really, that's all that matters! Hope everyone else had a great day! ;-) peace




No comments:

Post a Comment