Monday, February 8, 2010

Mayberry

So since I've been here in Brookings, OR I've probably come off like I put the town down. I'm not putting it down I'm just saying being from the SF Bay Area and coming to a lumber mill town of 6,000 is...an adjustment. I'm not sure how much longer I'll be here because I'm getting that "itch" to head back to the rat race but I wanted to take a moment and let you know that small town familiarity really exists. I'm in a coffee shop called The Salty Dog, listening to three old men exchange war stories and how they used to fly air planes. Two other men came in and they are fishermen and now they are talking about their catches of the day. Remember Brookings is on the coast and 101 runs right through town. Of course they all know each other and say hello by name. It's kind of a warm and cozy feeling to be honest. Okay I may have to take that back because now they are talking about the SF bay and how the seals left Pier 39 because there are no fish in the bay because of all the liberals. That makes absolutely no sense to me but whatever, small town brings small town mentality. It's still kind of cool how this looks like their daily routine, I may come back tomorrow to see if the same guys are still here. Okay off to go walk around town and see what's going on, it's gray but not raining. Below is the view from my chair here at the coffee shop. ;) peace

2 comments: